Come with me while I journey as an Initiate through the Feri Tradition of Witchcraft - a shamanic path of fey sorcery; a martial tradition of magic.

Any information deemed to be secret by any lines will not be found on this blog.

Wednesday 11 August 2010

The Necessity Of Practice


I sat down at my altar this morning and I felt a sense of belonging, of 'naturalness', come over me. I felt like I was supposed to be there. Does that make sense? One of the great struggles of walking a consciously spiritual path is the element of daily practice. Why should we engage in daily practice? What even is daily practice?

For me, daily practice is engaging in the core rites of Feri - Kala, Soul Alignment, Flower Prayer, Sitting Practice - as well as devotions and prayers to my various allies, such as the ancestors, Gods etc. This aspect of doing things daily means that I get better at them - practice makes perfect and all that. If I practice the Ha prayer, then my capacity for holding mana increases.

But why do daily practice? What purpose does it serve?

Firstly, daily practice provides me with a foundation, a context, through which I can live out my day. It is a reminder that there is a deeper purpose to my life, that my life as a Feri Witch underpins everything else. There is no part of my day that does not fall under the umbrella of my Feri. If I have made kala in the morning, I am able to live out my day with less stress or with fewer complexes hindering communication. If I have aligned my souls, then my appreciation of the earthly and celestial realms (and the interaction/merging between them) is augmented.

Secondly, I believe there is a cumulative affect to one's daily practice. I believe that the core 'purpose' of Feri is to encourage a state of Alignment. This means that all of your parts are working in harmony with all other parts of God Herself. This can be construed as Enlightenment or a feeling of Oneness. This can of course happen randomly (such as a sudden epiphany), but if you consciously prepare all of your parts on a daily basis, it is much more likely that you will achieve such as state.

What do you think? Why do/don't you engage in daily practice?

2 comments:

  1. I engage in my daily practice primarily to grow. It helps me to focus my energy and give purpose to it. I do my daily practice at night, because that is when I have time where I won't be interrupted. It helps me to relax before going to bed.

    FFF,
    ~Muninn's Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's obviously a great reason to do your practice Muninn's Kiss. My reason is to reach a state of Alignment with the Universe, which is probably the same as spiritual growth, just under a different name!

    ReplyDelete